This is the longest-running project for me so far. I started making this as part of Amy’s QAL last year, and then when the top was completed, made the slightly ambitious decision to hand-quilt it. Living in Queensland, the thought of sitting under a quilt hand-quilting is really only possible in Winter, and so I have spent many evenings stitching away at this project. It has been really fun and lovely, but yes, totally over-ambitious and a learning curve. This quilt is far from perfect, but it taught me lots, it is finished and it is mine. And that’s exciting. 🙂
This quilt is my experiment with minky, and my kids love it! I’m not quite convinced about putting all of those man-made fibres next to beautiful cotton but I’m out-voted at our place (not for the first time!)
This quilt was made from the pattern by Elizabeth Hartman at the Oh Fransson blog. I love so many of her patterns, and this one was book-marked when I first started quilting. Nice to have an excuse to make a quilt for fun. 🙂 The fabrics are by Cinderberry Stitches from the Folk Tale range.
My daughter and I shared this quilt with the Brisbane MQG in September. It was so much fun to take her along and see her get so excited about making quilts! Here is a link to her in action: http://instagram.com/p/tNT46eGedY/
So here’s the shortlist. Things are getting too cray-cray as biggest DD would say. Heaps of BOMs, long-term projects and things on hold for a while, but I would love to finish these for the end of September:
VQB Lap Quilt: It was on the list last quarter, but I decided to hand-quilt, so it is taking longer to finish. Still, want this to be done for September.
Rainbow squares quilt that I didn’t get finished in Q2. Current state:
Science Fair Quilt: This is a pile of fabrics and a pattern at the moment. I’ve pulled apart the jelly roll but that’s it. It’s been on the list for a while but not been prioritised because it will be a Father’s Day gift. In the hope that it doesn’t end up months late like MIL’s mother’s day gift, it needs to be completed this quarter.
Briar Rose Bricks: Really want to get some proper single-bed-sized quilts finished. The kids have ended up sleeping with their play quilts. These fabrics have been on my next-to-cutting table for a while and I just want to do something simple that will allow the fabrics to shine.
Night Sky Rainbow Print on Black: Another single-bed size quilt that I would like to finish as a test before starting the commissioned-by-a-friend quilts for her kids Christmas presents.
Baby Quilt x 2: for gifts. Will be using the New Wave pattern.
Seven quilts in three months. I think that might be going a bit far, but it’s an aim and I’ve tried to keep the patterns simple where possible. At the end of the day, the baby quilts will be ok as Christmas presents if they don’t get done in time, and it’s ok for the kids to keep using their play quilts on their beds if needed, but the father’s day gift and the VQB need to be done!
I started this project back in May 2013 with the Sew Sweetness sew-along and steadily made my way through all of the blocks, learning as I went. And then the blocks sat there for a long time.
The Finish Along at The Littlest Thistle was the nudge I needed to get this much-anticipated quilt finished. It was a daunting task for me as a newbie quilter to make sure that I had the colours just so, and (since I was very much a newbie when starting) sash all of those slightly differently-sized blocks making sure they were exactly in line.
So we went from this (including much swapping around and general fussing):
To this (at last) when the flimsy was finished (all. that. pinning.):
The next big decision was quilting. This thing is huge. I thought it was 96″ square, but it actually turned out more like 102″ square(ish). I hadn’t really seen much long-armed work other than pictures on the web, but asked the lovely QuiltJane for some advice, and thanks to her, it became this:
And a very long length of binding (eventually decided on black on white sketch, but was so tempted to use the raspberry architextures crosshatch instead) and a few evenings of hand stitching (I do love that bit) later, we have a finished quilt.
So pleased with it. Yey!
MIL’s “mother’s day” quilt is finally finished. This was one of my goals for Q2. In June. But hey, it’s the thought that counts! I decided to forgo a pattern and “just make a few simple pinwheels” from the Midwinter Reds layer cake I had for the project. Except none of the points matched and it generally drove me nuts.
Still, we got there in the end.. 🙂