Tag Archives: for me

Goals for Q3 2014

So here’s the shortlist. Things are getting too cray-cray as biggest DD would say. Heaps of BOMs, long-term projects and things on hold for a while, but I would love to finish these for the end of September:

VQB Lap Quilt: It was on the list last quarter, but I decided to hand-quilt, so it is taking longer to finish. Still, want this to be done for September.

IMG_3625

Rainbow squares quilt that I didn’t get finished in Q2. Current state:

IMG_3623

Science Fair Quilt: This is a pile of fabrics and a pattern at the moment. I’ve pulled apart the jelly roll but that’s it. It’s been on the list for a while but not been prioritised because it will be a Father’s Day gift. In the hope that it doesn’t end up months late like MIL’s mother’s day gift, it needs to be completed this quarter.

IMG_3626

Briar Rose Bricks: Really want to get some proper single-bed-sized quilts finished. The kids have ended up sleeping with their play quilts. These fabrics have been on my next-to-cutting table for a while and I just want to do something simple that will allow the fabrics to shine.

IMG_3628

Night Sky Rainbow Print on Black: Another single-bed size quilt that I would like to finish as a test before starting the commissioned-by-a-friend quilts for her kids Christmas presents.

IMG_3627

Baby Quilt x 2: for gifts. Will be using the New Wave pattern.

IMG_3624

Seven quilts in three months. I think that might be going a bit far, but it’s an aim and I’ve tried to keep the patterns simple where possible. At the end of the day, the baby quilts will be ok as Christmas presents if they don’t get done in time, and it’s ok for the kids to keep using their play quilts on their beds if needed, but the father’s day gift and the VQB need to be done!

A king-size finish: Tula’s modern sampler!

I started this project back in May 2013 with the Sew Sweetness sew-along and steadily made my way through all of the blocks, learning as I went. And then the blocks sat there for a long time.

The Finish Along at The Littlest Thistle was the nudge I needed to get this much-anticipated quilt finished. It was a daunting task for me as a newbie quilter to make sure that I had the colours just so, and (since I was very much a newbie when starting) sash all of those slightly differently-sized blocks making sure they were exactly in line.

So we went from this (including much swapping around and general fussing):

IMG_0739

To this:

image

 

To this:

IMG_0852

To this (at last) when the flimsy was finished (all. that. pinning.):

IMG_0912

 

The next big decision was quilting. This thing is huge. I thought it was 96″ square, but it actually turned out more like 102″ square(ish). I hadn’t really seen much long-armed work other than pictures on the web, but asked the lovely QuiltJane for some advice, and thanks to her, it became this:

IMG_3577

 

And a very long length of binding (eventually decided on black on white sketch, but was so tempted to use the raspberry architextures crosshatch instead) and a few evenings of hand stitching (I do love that bit) later, we have a finished quilt.

Tula Pink Sampler Finished Quilt

 

So pleased with it. Yey!

 

Little Projects

In the midst of finishing the king-size modern sampler and deciding to try hand-quilting my VQB sampler (bonus of it still being useful as a great lap quilt in our “Winter” evenings while I stitch), I recently completed a couple of simple projects so I could feel like I was getting some things finished!

Meeting Camille Roskelley when she came to Brisbane was a great excuse to complete the spools mini that had been sitting on my sewing table a while. I used some charm squares that I had put to one side for a kids quilt (because let’s face it I have enough kids fabric) and the results really brighten up the (very white) sewing room. Loving the pink dotty binding, especially.

Spools Mini Quilt

I thought I was being quite clever using the white-on-grey spools fabric, but once the seam allowance got used up, it really was too white. Ho hum.

Biggest daughter is into all things creepy (hmm…) and so I Immediately thought of her when I saw the Zombie Apocalypse fabric range. Not sure if that’s a good thing… She’s had a rough time with a lingering cough and cold turning into scary chest pain and pneumonia, so made her the promised pillowcase, using this tutorial. She’s very happy with it, hooray!

Zombie Pillow

I really didn’t need another project but thought I’d finally make some hexes one night while waiting for kids, and got totally addicted. Such a good use for the little mini-charm packs! So here’s my little kit, but this project only gets worked on in those “waiting around for the kidlets” moments. But saying that, I’ve done heaps, so clearly I’m waiting around more than I think I am!

IMG_3567

No real idea what I’m going to do with these when the 4 packs I have are basted, but I’m sure something will come up. 🙂 And I may or may not have started another BOM with English Paper Piecing. It’s just too addictive!

So given how many projects I have on the go, I’ve been downloading these files to keep myself on track. I totally overestimate how much stuff I can do all at once, but totally underestimate how many projects can be completed in a year, or even a quarter, just having fun. 🙂