Naptime Quilt: My first completed quilt for my youngest daughter. Made with a charm pack of “Phoebe” fabric by Windham. Completely unused at nap time, but good for toy picnics and teddy bear naps. Completed in May.
Mum’s Get Well Quilt: Sampler quilt completed as part of a beginners course at my local quilt shop. Completed in June.
Floral Lap Quilt: I let my middle daughter pick her favourite range and made this from a layer cake. Lots of errors, especially with lining up the backing. Completed in July.
Queen Bed Charm Quilt: Promised my eldest a non-baby quilt for her queen bed, which was daunting, so used charm packs. Ditch quilted. Leaves a lot to be desired, but was good practice. First attempt at machine binding. Completed in June.
A Quilt for Bob: Completed in August.
Farewell Teacher Quilts: Completed both in September.
Table Runner for a Friend: Quick gift with FQ bundle. Was fairly pleased with it but wasted lots of time trying to piece a back that used up the leftovers. Simple is best! Completed in October.
Impromptu: Decided to try a QAL (quilt-along) with the support of a group to make a quilt for our bed. After a false start in June and many re-dos, finally finished this queen-king size quilt in October using completely different fabric. Still don’t like it though.
October Charity Blocks: Decided I needed to lift myself from the funk caused by all the change so far this year so joined a charity quilting group. Made 20 simple blocks for their first BOM program, which made a whole quilt top.
Doll Quilt and Pillow: Middle daughter requested a quilt for her teddy with a matching pillow. Selected all the fabrics herself and placed her order. Hand pieced the squares together on a car trip and hand quilted the borders as practice. Rest was machine sewn for durability. Finished in October.
Birthday Play Quilt: Surprised middle daughter with a quilt of her own that matched the doll quilt she asked for. Used the basic math pattern and a layer cake. Better attempt at FMQing, but wish I’d used a different thread in the bobbin as ran out 2/3rds of the way through and had to change from green to yellow. Completed in November (just-in-time!)
November Charity Blocks: Made 20 woven blocks from some bright fabric I had in the stash. Learned to take more care of which way to press my seams!
December Charity Blocks (part 1): Made up 12 large eye-spy blocks for the December BOM using black, white and red fabrics. Did these early as the list to complete in December is long.
Teacher Gifts: 3 mug rugs using various width strips of Winter’s Lane fabric range so that it was Christmasy but not overly so. Finished in December.
Her First Bed Quilt: Youngest ordered her birthday big-girl-bed quilt with kids, sparkles, trains and a particularly horrid disney princess fabric. Started the Quilter’s Academy books so made this to one of the patterns that they list for beginners. Really pleased with the quilt, especially given the client requirements! Finished in December.
“Christmas” Table Runner: Started making this back in May but decided the colours were too Christmasy for use in the summer. Picked it back up in December and gave myself a few hours to complete it. It got finished but annoys me with the dodgy stitching. Slow down! Finished in December.
Quilted Cushion: Hubby made up an awesome gift basket for his mum for Christmas but it was really missing something quilty… Decided on a cushion as a potentially-will-be-able-to-finish-on-time gift. Didn’t have a pattern but found a picture online of what I wanted to make and figured it out from there using a photo and a tutorial on creating a simple cushion cover. Very proud of myself and she loved it. Finished in December.
Desk Mat: Eldest has been wishing for a bookshelf desk mat for her new homework desk (recently promoted from Lego table after moving to the new school with computer requirements). Having so little time to complete by Christmas, I used a bookshelf printed fabric rather than piecing the books as previously planned and quilted around each book. She was so pleased. Had to gift at 11am on Christmas Day rather than 6am though. Finished in December.
December Charity Blocks (part 2): After Christmas we had a bit of down-time (hooray). Our charity group requested a few more October blocks to finish a blue/purple quilt top, so made the missing 6 blocks. Of course, in digging out suitable fabrics, I found a heap of others that would make great eye-spy fabrics so made up another December top (15 blocks). Completed January blocks too. Finished in December.