I started this project back in May 2013 with the Sew Sweetness sew-along and steadily made my way through all of the blocks, learning as I went. And then the blocks sat there for a long time.
The Finish Along at The Littlest Thistle was the nudge I needed to get this much-anticipated quilt finished. It was a daunting task for me as a newbie quilter to make sure that I had the colours just so, and (since I was very much a newbie when starting) sash all of those slightly differently-sized blocks making sure they were exactly in line.
So we went from this (including much swapping around and general fussing):
To this (at last) when the flimsy was finished (all. that. pinning.):
The next big decision was quilting. This thing is huge. I thought it was 96″ square, but it actually turned out more like 102″ square(ish). I hadn’t really seen much long-armed work other than pictures on the web, but asked the lovely QuiltJane for some advice, and thanks to her, it became this:
And a very long length of binding (eventually decided on black on white sketch, but was so tempted to use the raspberry architextures crosshatch instead) and a few evenings of hand stitching (I do love that bit) later, we have a finished quilt.
So pleased with it. Yey!